Friday, August 8, 2008

Day 9

Woot Woot! Jesus in the hizzzouse!! Ok, I wont ever do that again. But ya know, that is how I feel after today!

The team met at the local christian bookstore that Brad Schielky (sp?) owns for breakfast and prep. They decided to bless us while we are out here and provide all of our meals. Saving money is rad.

About 11 we headed out to the fair. We weren't sure if we were going to be able to do our skits or not. So we grouped up at the booth Brad has rented at the fair. His ministry is heavily based around Living Waters (Ray Comfort) tracts. He has a big banner over his booth that says "Are you a good person? Take the test and get a $1". This works really well out here because the Mormons all thing they are good people. Their whole doctrine is based around them earning their salvation.

I was really, really tired. Most of you know that I am not a morning person at all. But this was a different tired. I'm sure it was spiritual. After we got to the fair, we started handing out tracts and walking people through the "good test". We found out shortly after that we couldn't do our skits in the fair area, but we could right across the street in a grass area outside of an aquatic center. So we decided to stick with the tracts and do the skit later in the afternoon.

Conversations were easy to get into. Mike, of course, was immediately in the trenches as were a few other team members. This is how Mike describes his conversations.

"I had alot of great conversations today. Even though they are very receptive, open and even seeming to understand, (the following is the answer he gave when I asked him to repeat for the blog, i like it best) there is a spiritual darkness to the gospel of Christ. Its like they are confused about the most basic simple things of Christianity. So we want to open their eyes. Prayer is our biggest weapon." (this is the answer he said first) its like they are a crab coming out of their shell but then slowly retreating, and you are like "no! don't go! come back!!"

After lunch, we went over to the grassy area to do our skits. We set up and I realized that we forgot to charge the speakers. So, half-way through King of Hearts, the sound started skipping and fading. Needless to say, it was a bummer to have that happen. But we got through it and attempted to share with the small crowd that had gathered. Mike had me go get an extension cord so that we could plug the speakers into the RV and do the skits later on.

I went to Walmart and picked up a 50 foot extension cord. The trip there was trying because I was so tired. I just wanted to go home and go to bed. As I walked around Walmart, I felt like a zombie. When I got back, the team was back at the booth, tracting and talking. Watching them encouraged me to snap out of it, and get to work.

While there was great conversation taking place, there was also great spiritual warfare going on. Half the team was exuberant, the other half was discouraged. The great thing was watching those who were discouraged read the word and stay in the Lords embrace. They were seeking the Lord in the midst of the trial.

One of the thing we learned today from Brad was that the LDS really like the word repent. When we challenge them on their sinfulness they respond with "that's what repentance is for. I sin I repent." But their definition of repentance is "my effort in my power will eventually attain righteousness for me." Brad share with us what he tells them...listen to this. "The problem for you Mr. LDS is that you keep repenting for the wicked deeds, but you have never repented for being a wicked person." Woah! That was good stuff.

After dinner, we came back to the boys house and just hung out for a hour or so. The team was exhausted from the work and the very hot day. It was almost 100 degrees here and we had no shade. We closed the night with a time of sharing and encouragement. The ladies went home and the guys got ready for bed. its my bed time now, but I'm too excited and awake to go to bed. Yes mom, I know, I should go to bed anyway. I'll do that.

God bless all of you for your prayers. They definitely were heard and answered all over us today.

- nathan







No comments: